Like humans, dogs are prone to arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, and even thyroid issues when heavier than they should be. If you don’t want to lose your canine life companion early, you need to help him lose weight.
1. See the vet and get recommendations.
It may be necessary to switch dog food and treats to make weight loss easier, and there really is no better person to consult than the vet.
Every popular dog food brand is formulated differently to suit the size of each type of dog and meet unique nutritional requirements. The vet can recommend the most appropriate dog food and treats for your canine friend.
2. Get a feeding chart.
One of the most important things you should do to help your dog lose weight is to feed him the right way. For this, you can use a feeding guide. These chart shows you how many grams of dog food should be fed to a particular size of dog per day.
Stick to the chart so you can easily keep track of your dog’s actual food requirements.
3. Teach pet-iquette.
It’s never too late to train your dog proper eating habits. Training can eliminate his bad behavior with food such as begging for food at the table and barking when nobody gives him any. As his behavior gets modified, his eating habits will change as well.
4. Devote more time for play.
Playtime with your furry pal is a great way to get his body moving. Invest in a good set of pet accessories and toys to encourage his playfulness. Getting your beloved canine a puppy ball or stick equates to hours of exercise for him. It’s no special game but it provides a great workout.
As he eats less and does more physical activities, he’ll burn all the extra weight. It’s really the same formula for humans so you won’t have any trouble getting it right.
5. Get healthy yourself.
You exercising more presents the perfect opportunity to get your dog to work off his extra weight. Put a leash on him so he can’t just run off, and then go on a hike together, or jog around your neighborhood.
6. Travel with your dog.
Mix business with pleasure and take your dog with you when you travel.
A new place usually is a source of excitement for dogs, and there are pet-friendly destinations all over. Not only will the newness of a place make your dog playful, the presence of other dogs will, as well. It’s always nice to find playmates, and other dogs will trigger his natural instinct to roughhouse with his kind.
Farah Al-Khojai is the Managing Partner of Pet’s Delight. A passionate entrepreneur, Farah holds a BSc in Government from the London School of Economics. She is always on the lookout for new opportunities to develop and grow the pet and equestrian retail and wholesale market in the UAE and beyond, and is proud to be at the helm of the first and the largest pet care provider in the market representing world-class brands including Origen, Applaws, Hunter, Savic, Flamingo, Ruffwear and Rogz.
- Buy a Dog Online: Recommendations to Avoid Problems
- Best Dog Foods – What Dog Food Do Vets Recommend?
- Best Dog Food For Pitbulls
- Choosing The Best Dog Bowl And Feeder For Your Dog
- Finding The Best Dog Food For Your Pet
- A Dog Day at The Spa – The Best Dog Spas in NYC
- A Stainless Steel Dog Bowl – Is it Really The Best Dog Bowl?
- Best Dog Track in Florida?
- Best Dog Breeds For Families With Young Children
- Choosing The Best Dog Stroller For Your Pet
- DIY Dog Fence Wire – How to Choose Wire And Cable
- How to Choose The Best Dog Insurance Company
- Factors That Influence Your Dog Fence Selection
- Dog Behavior Series 11 – What Is The Best Dog Food?
- Invisible Dog Fences – Facts And Advantages, is an Invisible Dog Fence Right For Your Home?
- Best Dog Foods – What Dogs Ate Before They Were Domesticized
- Electric Wireless Dog Fence
- Best Dog Shampoo
- Definition And Function of Wireless Dog Fence
- How to Recognize The Best Dog Food For Your Dog