We have to be responsible when adopting a young dog, as there are not only implications for the vulnerability of the animal in that period of its life, but for legal requirements
Whether or not it is ethical to buy and sell puppies is a discussion that may last much longer. On the one hand, there are those who defend adoption at all costs and, on the other, those who want to buy a specific breed.
What is indisputable about this controversy is that the issue is of capital importance. Not only because it refers to a commercial activity that has certain rules, but because it implies the commercialization of living beings.
The decision to have a puppy is very delicate. It doesn’t matter if we choose to adopt an abandoned dog or decide to buy one. In both cases, it is a living being that requires a serious commitment from us.
When deciding to buy a puppy, we must make sure we think about it before doing so. It is not about the purchase of an object that we can change if it does not satisfy us, and it is that we live a life that we commit ourselves to take care of forever.
The number of abandoned dogs increases every day. It is a matter that goes beyond a public health problem; it is a matter of morality and personal responsibility. Therefore, whether we are going to adopt as if we are going to pay for it, it is necessary to be fully convinced of the step to be taken.
The legal part of the sale of puppies
The purchase and sale of animals is a business. As such, there are regulations that must be respected when making it, both to protect buyers, and to guarantee the right of animals. It should be noted that in Spain the sale of animals by individuals is not legal.
Then, the sale of puppies must be done by a store or a licensed breeder. Both must comply with the regulations that regulate the activity in each autonomous community, so the laws on animal protection are those that contemplate the guidelines to be followed by these businesses.
Requirements that animal sales must meet
The breeders or stores engaged in selling puppies should have some basic requirements:
- Be registered as business of buying and selling animals.
- Have the basic sanitary conditions that guarantee the welfare of the animals found there. Meeting this requirement makes the establishment a zoological nucleus.
- They must have the appropriate personnel who are trained to care for and meet the needs of animals.
- Have the necessary license and permits from the corresponding municipality.
The sale of animals without the corresponding permits is punishable by fines, which can reach up to 20,000 USD. Sanctions depend on the legislation of each region.
What care should be taken when buying a Puppy
If we are going to buy a puppy, we must do it to a breeder or establishment that is reliable. It is advisable to investigate the background before making the purchase and make sure that the place where they have the puppies meets the corresponding sanitary conditions. Therefore, you have to doubt those places that do not allow you to see their facilities.
It is also advisable to keep the bill and the legal guarantee that will cover us in case the puppy is sick. The details of the seller, the amount paid, description and breed of the dog must appear.
In this sense, we must demand the veterinary certificate where vaccines and deworming of the puppy must be registered. It should indicate the state of health in which the animal is received. Additionally, the pedigree certificate or the store’s commitment to obtain it must be required.
Another very important aspect is to take the puppy to the veterinarian as soon as possible, so we can enforce our rights in case of any irregularity. If the puppy is sick, the store must bear the expenses that that implies.
It should be noted that in some communities the seller is required to deliver some type of animal identification element. These can be elements such as microchips, tattoos, etc.
What to do if a puppy sale is suspected to be illegal
Buying a puppy from people who are not legally authorized represents a high risk. If in the search for options to acquire a puppy we know a case, it is our duty to report it.
It may be that some establishment is authorized for the sale of puppies, but does not comply with some standards. In that case, the authorities should also be informed of the situation. In short, by denouncing the illegal sale of puppies we could be saving them from possible abuse.
Read More Here: Puppies for sale Long Island NY
- Guide to Buy The Best Fish Tank Filter
- Pepecos, The World's First Adoption Animal Metasearch
- Everything The New Family Member Needs
- Post Show Report For China International Pet Show 2018
- Buy a Dog Online: Recommendations to Avoid Problems
- A Cat Recognizes Its Owners Six Years After Getting Lost!
- Spain Champion in The Championships of The World of Dogs of Sample And British Races
- A Dog Threatened With Death by The Neapolitan Mafia!
- How Much Does a Visit to The Vet Cost?
- Is my Cat Jealous of my Partner?
- The Bitch That Ripped Off The Penis of a Man Who Hit Her in Danger in The Kennel
- Your Dog Dies Scared Because You Leave Him Alone
- Small Dogs For Adoption: a Perfect Choice
- Lowering The Veterinary VAT Will be Approved, And Then Applied?
- 10 Things That Scare Cats (curious as They May Seem)
- Why Does my Cat Play With His Poop?
- Are Cats Carnivores or Omnivores?
- The 7 Reasons Why to Adopt a Cat
- News From The World of The Dog, October 22 to 28
- Why my Cat Does Not Want to Eat And is Down?