As more and more Americans appreciate the fantastic flavor and health benefits of coconut oil, many more excellent brands show up on store shelves. My favorite happens to be Tropical Traditions because it’s made from certified organic coconuts, which have not been treated with chemicals or fertilizers. Plus, it comes in a generously proportioned glass bottle (which I much prefer to plastic), so I always have enough to share with my beloved five-pack of dogs! So, is coconut oil good for dogs? Coconut oil for dogs can be used in a variety of ways.
Fed regularly, coconut oil for dogs can have many health benefits — for their skin, digestive and immune systems; metabolic function; and even their bone and brain health!
10 reasons to try coconut oil for dogs:
1. Coconut oil for dogs helps dog skin conditions
2. Coconut oil helps your dog’s coat
3. Coconut oil promotes healing
Applied topically to the skin, coconut oil promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, bites and stings.
4. Coconut oil for dogs helps your pup smell pleasant
The antibacterial and antifungal properties of coconut oil help reduce doggy odor, and its pleasantly tropical aroma imparts a delightful scent to a dog’s skin and coat.
5. Coconut oil has antiviral properties
Coconut oil prevents and treats yeast infections, including candida. Its antiviral agents also help dogs recover quickly from kennel cough.
6. Coconut oil for dogs improves digestion and nutrition absorption
Digestion and nutrient absorption are improved by the addition of coconut oil to a dog’s diet. It can, however, cause stool to loosen; if that happens, just add a few spoonfuls of canned pumpkin to your dog’s diet (go here for more stool-firming tips).
7. Coconut oil can help doggy breath
Coconut oil reduces — and sometimes eliminates — doggy breath. Some dog lovers even brush their pets’ teeth with the stuff! Which makes sense, as dogs love the taste of coconut oil, and that makes the chore less arduous for brusher and brushee.
8. Coconut oil for dogs helps protect against disease
9. Coconut oil helps promote mobility in dogs
10. Coconut oil for dogs helps your canine’s mind, too
Again like cinnamon, coconut oil is excellent for brain health; it’s being used to stave off dementia in humans, and it’s a must to keep senior dogs’ minds from becoming cloudy.
Tell us: What do you think about coconut oil for dogs? Have you used it before? How do you use it on your dog?
Thumbnail: Photography by DAE Photo / Shutterstock.
Read more about homemade remedies to improve your dog’s health on Dogster.com:
- Homemade Dog Shampoo — 3 Simple Recipes
- Olive Oil for Dogs — 8 Reasons to Add It to Your Dog’s Diet
- Kennel Cough Treatment — 4 At-Home Remedies for Kennel Cough