Fetch this hiking gear for dogs for your pack:
1. Dog booties to protect paws (let your dog get used to them first). Wool socks make good emergency backup.
2. Dog backpack that fits snugly around ribs. Practice with an empty pack, then gradually add evenly distributed weight (up to 1/4 of your dog’s weight). Think lightweight, unbreakable and waterproof.
3. A reflective or bright-colored dog coat for cold; a cooling towel for heat.
4. Collapsible silicone or nylon dog bowls.
5. A light for your dog’s collar.
6. A secure tag with dog’s name and your phone number. Carry a recent photo and your veterinarian’s number.
7. A leash shorter than 10 feet and a carabiner to attach it to your belt.
8. A comfortable and breathable dog harness.
9. A First-aid kit.
Thumbnail: Silicone Travel Bowl Duo, petmate.com.
Read more about hiking with dogs:
- Hiking With Dogs — Tips for Bringing Your Pup on the Trail
- How My Dog Mastered Off-Leash Hiking
- Tips for Hiking With Multiple Dogs — From a Pro Who Hikes With a Pack
- Hiking With Dogs — Tips For Bringing Your Pup on The Trail
- 3 Surprising Ways Dogs Make Us More Optimistic
- Supplements And Superfoods For Dogs — What You Need to Know
- Must-Have Book: ‘Insta Grammar Dogs’
- The Mission Behind Support Dogs, Inc.
- How Much Do You Know About Your Dog’s Tongue?
- Here’s Why The Top-Rated Dog Car Crates Could Save Your Dog’s Life
- Dogs Who Don’t Shed: Separating Fact From Fiction
- Pennsylvania’s Libre Law Puts Limits on Chaining Dogs Outside
- 7 Common Health Issues in Older Dogs
- Everything to Know About Allergic Reactions in Dogs
- Best Dogs For City Apartments: Why The Size of Your Pet Doesn’t Matter
- Can Dogs Eat Grapes? What to Know About Grapes And Dogs
- What Are Dogs Scared Of? How to Help Dogs Overcome Their Fears
- New Drone Footage of Dogs Herding Sheep Is Mesmerizing [Video]
- 11 Common Household Items That Are Toxic to Dogs
- Holiday Plans That Are Utterly Unsuitable For Dogs
- 21 Human Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs
- Isle of Dogs Premiere — Have You Entered to Win? #IsleofDogs
- 5 Calming Products For Dogs