Last month, Irie had some tummy troubles so she spent a couple of days on a bland chicken and rice diet. To make it a little more flavorful, I used homemade chicken broth when cooking the rice–and even had enough left over to create some frozen treats for her when she started feeling better a couple of days later.
Homemade chicken broth is super easy to make–and a better choice for your dog than commercial chicken broth, which often contains onion, of course a no-no for dogs.
Homemade Chicken Broth
- One 3-pound chicken
- Place chicken in a large stockpot and cover with three inches of water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from the water and reserve for another recipe. (Discard all cooked chicken bones because cooked bones are a splintering and choking hazard for dogs.)
- Refrigerate broth to skim off fat before freezing.
That’s it! It really doesn’t get much easier than this. You’ll find many ways to use the homemade chicken broth in your dog’s meals including as a way to soften dry food, a “gravy” over your dog’s normal meal, or frozen in a Kong.
If you have extra, ice trays are a handy way to freeze homemade chicken broth. Once frozen, store cubes in zippered plastic bags for easy use in future treat recipes.
- How to Avoid Accidentally Feeding Your Dog Chicken Bones
- Homemade Dog Shampoo — 3 Simple Recipes
- 15 Homemade Holiday Dog Treat Recipes
- 10 Tips to Take Care of Your Dog in Summer
- 25 Sweet & Heartwarming Dog Quotes
- Help Your Dog Cope With Summer Time Noise Fears
- How to Trim Dog Nails — Safely
- Why Does A Dog Start To Pee In Its Owner’s Bed?
- 5 Ways to Prepare For a Hike With Your Dog
- How to Prevent Dog Bites
- Sizing Up 5 Medium-Sized Dog Breeds
- Can Your Dog Get a Fungal Infection?
- How to Teach Any Dog to Roll Over No Matter Their Size
- Here’s Why The Top-Rated Dog Car Crates Could Save Your Dog’s Life
- Win a Copy of TRAIN YOUR DOG NOW!
- Would You Clone Your Dog? (People Totally Do)
- 8 Reasons You Should Eat Like Your Dog
- 6 Reasons Cleaning With Vinegar is Good For Your Dog And Your Home
- Everything You Wanted to Know About Dog Penis Behavior
- Dog Friendly Baseball Games – 2018 Schedule