I love the Lucky Dog show on CBS; each week’s episode features celebrity dog trainer Brandon McMillan working to train a rescue dog in preparation for his new home. Now the Emmy-winning star has launched a new collection of dog training products demonstrated in his new book, Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days.
Recently Petmate sent me McMillan’s new Shake & Break training tool. If you’re familiar with a can of coins used as a redirection tool, you’ll recognize the principle behind the Shake & Break, basically breaking the dog’s focus on an unwanted behavior.
The Shake & Break takes the can of coins a step further by providing multiple sounds. The hourglass shape features a steel end and a plastic end, both connected by a rubber center. Inside, faceted beads provide the noise when you shake the Shake & Break.
Why two materials? The sound of the beads hitting the metal end is much louder and more jarring than when you turn over the Shake & Break and have the beads make contact with the plastic end (a good option for shy dogs who may be frightened by the sound of the beads on metal).
I had the chance to give the Shake & Break a test this week when we had a repairman replacing my broken windshield. Irie and Tiki were in the house but they were able to see the workman through the front door–and they didn’t like it. Living in the country, they so rarely see anyone in our front yard and garage area that they go into high alert when they spot a stranger.
When I shook the Shake & Break, it definitely broke Tiki’s fixation on the workman. Once that attention was broken, I was able to talk to her and get her refocused on something else.
I’ll definitely be carrying the Shake & Break on hotel stays as a quick and easy way to redirect the dogs’ focus when they hear a knock on a door, a challenge that they encounter very rarely but one that, at a hotel, we need to redirect quickly. The Shake & Break can also be used for redirecting dogs from other unwanted behaviors such as jumping on people.
The Shake & Break is priced at $15.99 and is available at Petmate.com–and now one community member will win one!
Enter to Win
Enter to win a Shake & Break in the widget below; you may return to the giveaway for more entries throughout the entry period. Good luck!
This giveaway is sponsored by and fulfilled by Petmate.
- 25 Sweet & Heartwarming Dog Quotes
- Win a Copy of TRAIN YOUR DOG NOW!
- 6 Ways to Use Training Treats Even When You’re Not Dog Training | #Giveaway
- 5 Dog Training Lessons I Learned The Hard Way
- Make Safe Dog Toys With Your Old Stuff & Lots of Love.
- Best Spring Break Ideas With Your Dog
- Therapy Dog in Training Reaches Out to Grieving Dog Lover [Video]
- The Top 5 Show Dogs of 2017: Who Will Win The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show?
- Win a YEAR OF THE DOG Bracelet Set!
- 10 Tips That Make Dog Training Easier
- Client Spotlight — The Pet Nanny & Dog Walker!
- Tips For Choosing & Using An RV Dog Ramp
- 6 of Our Favorite Dog Training Tips
- A Stainless Steel Dog Bowl – Is it Really The Best Dog Bowl?
- Best Dog Track in Florida?
- Best Dog Breeds For Families With Young Children
- Choosing The Best Dog Stroller For Your Pet
- DIY Dog Fence Wire – How to Choose Wire And Cable
- How to Choose The Best Dog Insurance Company
- Factors That Influence Your Dog Fence Selection