Few canine conditions are as frustrating as dog skin allergies. Environmental allergies are particularly challenging, as in many cases the only effective treatment is steroids, which are associated with adverse side effects when used long term to treat your dog’s allergies.
A new collaborative study conducted by Santa Ana, California-based VetCell Therapeutics, a division of PrimeGen Biotech, and Western University of Health Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine in Pomona, California, will explore the use of mesenchymal stem cells to treat canine atopic dermatitis (allergic skin disease). The hope is that this stem cell therapy will be a viable alternative to long-term steroids and other medical treatments.
Thumbnail: Photography ©R.Tsubin | Getty Images.
Jackie Brown is a freelance writer from Southern California who specializes in the pet industry. Reach her at jackiebrownwriter.wordpress.com.
Editor’s note: This article first appeared in Dogster magazine. Have you seen the new Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? Subscribe now to get Dogster magazine delivered straight to you!
Read more dog news on Dogster.com:
- Dug Up at Dogster: March 2018 Dog Events
- Pet Tech Products: What We Have, What We Know and What’s Next
- Dug Up at Dogster: 7 Things to Know About Dog Boots
- What Are Environmental Allergies in Dogs And How Do You Treat Them?
- 3 Surprising Ways Dogs Make Us More Optimistic
- Supplements And Superfoods For Dogs — What You Need to Know
- Must-Have Book: ‘Insta Grammar Dogs’
- The Mission Behind Support Dogs, Inc.
- How Much Do You Know About Your Dog’s Tongue?
- Here’s Why The Top-Rated Dog Car Crates Could Save Your Dog’s Life
- Dogs Who Don’t Shed: Separating Fact From Fiction
- Pennsylvania’s Libre Law Puts Limits on Chaining Dogs Outside
- 7 Common Health Issues in Older Dogs
- Everything to Know About Allergic Reactions in Dogs
- Best Dogs For City Apartments: Why The Size of Your Pet Doesn’t Matter
- Can Dogs Eat Grapes? What to Know About Grapes And Dogs
- What Are Dogs Scared Of? How to Help Dogs Overcome Their Fears
- New Drone Footage of Dogs Herding Sheep Is Mesmerizing [Video]
- 11 Common Household Items That Are Toxic to Dogs
- Holiday Plans That Are Utterly Unsuitable For Dogs
- 21 Human Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs
- Isle of Dogs Premiere — Have You Entered to Win? #IsleofDogs
- 5 Calming Products For Dogs