If you’ve never heard of xylitol, you’re not alone. But this sweetener is deadly to dogs, and it’s found in more products than you could ever imagine. Read on to find out what you need to know about xylitol and dogs.
First, what is xylitol?
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used as a sugar substitute in many human products, including many dental products as it reduces the development of cavities and plaque.
How does xylitol affect dogs?
Dogs who consume products containing xylitol can develop low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and seizures. In high doses, xylitol may cause liver failure. If a dog consumes large amounts of xylitol, he can even die.
What products contain xylitol?
Xylitol is found in sugar-free gums, candies, mints, breath strips, toothpastes, mouthwashes, chewable vitamins and supplements, liquid cold medications, laxatives and allergy medications. You might also find xylitol in sugar-free food products, including some peanut butters and other nut butters, ice creams, yogurts, gelatin desserts, jams, protein bars and more. For a list of products that contain xylitol, head to preventivevet.com.
“With the increasing use of xylitol as a sweetener in products, I would always be concerned with anything a dog eats that might be sweet to check to see if there’s xylitol in the ingredient list,” says Scott Fausel, medical director of VCA Sinking Spring in Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania.
Just how much xylitol is toxic to dogs?
Just 50 milligrams per pound of a dog’s body weight can cause problems. Some sugar-free gum products contain as much as 1 gram (1,000 milligrams) of xylitol per piece.
What are the signs of xylitol poisoning in dogs?
One of the scariest things about xylitol is you might not see any symptoms until the liver damage is advanced. At that point, it might be too late to help the dog. “They may not show signs unless it causes the sugar to drop (hypoglycemia),” Dr. Fausel explains. “Patients can become weak and have tremors or seizures from low blood sugar.”
What should I do if my dog eats something containing xylitol?
If you even suspect your dog might have ingested something containing xylitol, contact your vet, an emergency veterinary hospital or poison-control hotline immediately — don’t wait. When it comes to xylitol and dogs, do not induce vomiting; wait for instructions from your vet or someone at a poison-control center. (Note: Charges apply when calling poison control.)
What is the treatment for xylitol toxicity in dogs?
Your vet will treat your dog for xylitol poisoning even if you just suspect he consumed the poison. Depending on your dog’s symptoms and how much time has passed since he ate the xylitol, your vet might or might not induce vomiting. Typically, the dog is hospitalized, monitored and given supportive treatment depending on his symptoms. Prognosis and chances of survival increase if your dog is admitted to the hospital before any liver damage occurs.
Tell us: Have you ever had an experience with xylitol and dogs? What did your dog eat?
Thumbnail: Photography by monkeybusinessimages/Thinkstock.
What sort of side effects does xylitol have on humans? Read about xylitol and other sweeteners on universityhealthnews.com >>
Read more about dogs and toxicity on Dogster.com:
- Chocolate Toxicity — Let’s Talk About Dogs and Chocolate
- How to Find Pet-Safe Paints That Aren’t Toxic to Your Dog
- Fruits Dogs Can Eat (And Fruits That Are Toxic to Dogs)
The post Xylitol and Dogs — Why This Common Sweetener is Toxic to Dogs appeared first on Dogster.
Originally a dentist, Anna Strout has written for three years for pet and animal publications. Anna is also a historian who studies dog breed progression throughout the world, dabbles in animal law issues, and collects dog tales while traveling across the country with her husband and German Shepherd Dog, Luna. Anna kicks dust up dancing with Luna at home in Houston, Texas, where she teaches her obedience and tricks.