One of the most popular breeds, Dachshunds, especially miniature Doxies, has stolen the hearts of many people around the world. Being a small breed, they have a good long lifespan, but that does not mean they have no health risks. If you are thinking about adding a Dachshund to your family, or already have one, you should be aware of the following 3 first health problems for the Dachshunds. Knowing the existence of them can help you and your veterinarian keep your healthy Dachshunds.
# 1 – Intervertebral Disc Disease
Not surprisingly, the biggest problem with the little Dachshund is spinal problems. The herniated discs in the lower back are very common in the Doxies. Owners should be careful about letting them jump up and down. In addition, Doxies should always be picked up with the support of the front and back legs to avoid accidental injuries and undue strain on the spine.
# 2 – Hypothyroidism
Many Doxies who are thought to have just been overweight may actually have hypothyroidism. The most common type in Doxies is lymphocytic thyroiditis. If your Dachshund continues to gain weight, it is necessary to take her to the vet to get her checked out.
# 3 – Eyes Problems
Dachshunds have a number of eye problems such as: cataracts, glaucoma, corneal dystrophy, alterations of the lacrimal ducts, and progressive retinal atrophy, to name a few. Many of them are hereditary so if you are buying from a breeder, be sure that you are a responsible being, which tests the parents for genetic defects before reproduction.
- Puppy Stores Long Island – Why Buy a Puppy From Our Breeding?
- Which Breed of Dog or Puppy is Right For You?
- Hemp Oil For Dogs: Is it Safe?
- How to Choose Your German Shepherd Puppy
- Service Dogs & Housing – Know Your Rights
- Choosing The Right Harness or Collar For Your Dog
- Top 5 Tips to Take Care of Your Pet
- Hydrotherapy in Dogs
- Temperament of French Bulldogs: The Good And The Bad Sides
- Temperament of Pitbull Dogs
- Pros And Cons of Electric Dog Fences
- These Are The Best Dogs Breed If You Have Children
- Tips For Your Pitbull to Spend Energy
- 10 Tips to Mark Superiority Over Your Pitbull
- What Care Does Your Dog Pitbull Need? Have a Happy, Healthy And Balanced Dog
- Decorate Your Dog House With These 5 Tips
- The Flu in Dogs
- Buy a Dog Online: Recommendations to Avoid Problems
- Guide to Boarding Your Dog
- Is Dog Sharing a Good Suggestion For Your Dog?