One of the most popular breeds, Dachshunds, especially miniature Doxies, has stolen the hearts of many people around the world. Being a small breed, they have a good long lifespan, but that does not mean they have no health risks. If you are thinking about adding a Dachshund to your family, or already have one, you should be aware of the following 3 first health problems for the Dachshunds. Knowing the existence of them can help you and your veterinarian keep your healthy Dachshunds.
# 1 – Intervertebral Disc Disease
Not surprisingly, the biggest problem with the little Dachshund is spinal problems. The herniated discs in the lower back are very common in the Doxies. Owners should be careful about letting them jump up and down. In addition, Doxies should always be picked up with the support of the front and back legs to avoid accidental injuries and undue strain on the spine.
# 2 – Hypothyroidism
Many Doxies who are thought to have just been overweight may actually have hypothyroidism. The most common type in Doxies is lymphocytic thyroiditis. If your Dachshund continues to gain weight, it is necessary to take her to the vet to get her checked out.
# 3 – Eyes Problems
Dachshunds have a number of eye problems such as: cataracts, glaucoma, corneal dystrophy, alterations of the lacrimal ducts, and progressive retinal atrophy, to name a few. Many of them are hereditary so if you are buying from a breeder, be sure that you are a responsible being, which tests the parents for genetic defects before reproduction.
- The Flu in Dogs
- Buy a Dog Online: Recommendations to Avoid Problems
- Guide to Boarding Your Dog
- Is Dog Sharing a Good Suggestion For Your Dog?
- Best Dog Foods – What Dog Food Do Vets Recommend?
- Best Dog Food For Pitbulls
- Choosing The Best Dog Bowl And Feeder For Your Dog
- Finding The Best Dog Food For Your Pet
- A Dog Day at The Spa – The Best Dog Spas in NYC
- A Stainless Steel Dog Bowl – Is it Really The Best Dog Bowl?
- Best Dog Track in Florida?
- Best Dog Breeds For Families With Young Children
- Choosing The Best Dog Stroller For Your Pet
- DIY Dog Fence Wire – How to Choose Wire And Cable
- How to Choose The Best Dog Insurance Company
- Factors That Influence Your Dog Fence Selection
- Dog Behavior Series 11 – What Is The Best Dog Food?
- Invisible Dog Fences – Facts And Advantages, is an Invisible Dog Fence Right For Your Home?
- Best Dog Foods – What Dogs Ate Before They Were Domesticized
- Electric Wireless Dog Fence