Dog training leashes are a valuable tool to improve the behavior of dogs and keep them safe during walks, visits and other activities. Your choice must be careful, since the leash will constitute the form of communication between the handler (professional or not) and the dog.
What is the best leash to train a dog? There are several models, shapes and materials to meet the needs of pets and their owners: training phase, breed, size, personality and character. In this guide, you will learn about the different types of straps, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each of them.
The most important
- Dog training leashes are made of different materials: nylon (nylon), leather, fabric or metal. Depending on the raw material, it will be the strength, durability and ease of cleaning of the strap.
- Regarding the shape of the strap, they can be flattened (flat) or rounded. Their length is a highly variable attribute, since they can be from less than 50 centimeters to 20 meters long.
- The best model of leash for training is the multi-position type, since it allows its length to be adjusted according to the stage of instruction, the physical space and the need for control over the dog.
The best dog training leashes on the market: our recommendations
Many owners spend time looking for a comfortable, strong and safe collar for training their dog, but do not pay the same attention to the purchase of the leash. The truth is that both elements are equally important. For this reason, we want to recommend the best dog training leashes on the market.
- The best multi-position training leash for dogs
- The best dog training leash to use at night
- The toughest dog training leash
- Longest Dog Training Leash
- The most sophisticated dog training leash
The best multi-position training leash for dogs
Multi-position nylon strap. Its length can be set to 1.4m (meters), 1.7m, 2.1m, and 2.6m. The handle measures 20 centimeters. Premium product, high resistance and easy to clean. It can be sanitized in a washing machine. It has two robust and resistant carabiner hooks that increase the security of this strap.
Despite its strong carabiners and its 2.8 meter length, the strap only weighs 240 grams. It is used to walk and train dogs up to 40-45 kilograms, even if they have a habit of pulling hard. This multi-position leash is ideal for medium or large dog training programs.
The best dog training leash to use at night
Multi-position nylon strap, adjustable in 3 different positions: 1.05 m, 1.30 m and 1.70 m. Total length: 2 meters. It has reflective stitching along the strap for easy viewing on night walks. Ideal element for the training of small, medium or large dogs.
Excellent price-quality ratio. The nylon of the strap, the carabiners and the rings are very resistant. It allows walking two dogs at the same time. The adjustable length allows the dog to be closer or to give it greater freedom of movement depending on the present situation or the command (“sit”, “stay”, “here”) that you want to teach.
The toughest dog training leash
Unlike most nylon straps, which tend to be flattened, this model is rounded, simulating the appearance of a rope. Its materials are very resistant. It has thick reflective threads, providing greater security in case of night walks. Its length is 1.80 meters and its diameter is 1.2 centimeters.
The available colors are: green, pink, red, black and blue. The soft, padded handle design provides plenty of comfort and prevents friction burns, even if the dog is pulling. The carabiner hook is strong and has a clasp to ensure a secure closure. Leash suitable for both small and large dogs.
Longest Dog Training Leash
Robust and rounded strap, 10 meters long and 6 millimeters in diameter. Specially designed for the training of large dogs. It does not have a handle, but its design makes it very easy to pick it up and drop it depending on the situation. Its length allows the dog to be trained to come to the call (command “come here”).
This strap is made of a plastic that simulates leather and contains polyester inside. It can be washed under running water. It does not absorb moisture or odors. Strong and durable product. It weighs 370 grams and is recommended for large dogs, from 30-35 kilograms in weight.
The most sophisticated dog training leash
Multi-position leash for canine training. It is made of bovine leather. Premium product. Its cost is high due to the excellence of its materials and its durability. If the dog is not in the habit of chewing on the leash, it can last a lifetime. The exterior leather is brown and the interior is black.
The maximum length is 2.30 meters and it can be adjusted in 3 different positions. The strap has a flat and padded shape, providing great comfort to the trainer. It is resistant and flexible at the same time. It is designed for the training of dogs of different sizes, both puppies and adults.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Dog Training Leashes
Training leashes are a valuable tool to improve the behavior of dogs, increase their safety during walks and even improve home coexistence. In this section, you will learn about the characteristics and uses of the leash for your dog’s education.
What requirements must a good dog training leash meet?
New models and materials of dog collars and leashes are constantly emerging. As the owner and manager of the pet, it is important not to get carried away by advertising and to select a training leash that meets certain requirements for fitness, comfort, and safety:
- The leash must be strong: especially when you want to train a large dog or one that pulls with great force.
- It must have strong and robust hooks: that guarantee a secure connection to the ring or ring of the collar or harness.
- The strap must be comfortable: for the owner’s use and it must also have a construction that helps prevent friction burns.
- The leash must be long enough: to promote freedom of movement for the animal, but short enough to control it. The multi-position straps allow you to adjust the length according to the need of the moment.
- They must be made of a material that is easy to clean or wash: that does not absorb odors or humidity.
- For night training, the strap must be reflective.
What are dog training leashes?
Dog training leashes are elements designed to control and, above all, to educate these animals. They consist of a strap, rope or chain, with a metal hook at one end that will be attached to the dog’s collar or harness. At the other end, it can have a handle or handle to favor the grip of the person in charge.
What models of training leashes for dogs are there?
As we have already mentioned, there are very diverse options on the market when it comes to leashes for dog training. However, very few of them can really contribute to the canine training process and, worse still, others can be risky for the dog. These are the models currently available:
- Conventional straps: they are usually flat in shape and around 1 meter long. They are suitable for walks, but are not long enough for training.
- Straps 2 meters or longer: it is a conventional strap but much longer. It can have an extension of 2 meters to 20 meters. They allow training the dog to answer the call or bring the ball (or other object). They can be flattened or rounded. These straps are wound and released manually.
- Multi-position straps: they are between 2 and 3 meters in length. Its peculiarity is the presence of 2 or more rings on the strap, which allow hooking the carabiners and regulating the length of the strap. They are the favorite choice of trainers, veterinarians and responsible owners.
- Flexi® or extendable belts: they can have different lengths, although the most common are 3, 5 or 8 meters. They consist of a ribbon-like leash, which is wound inside a kind of ergonomic plastic handle, and that the dog can extend as it pulls or moves away.
- Drowning or hanging straps : this model includes a strap and a collar. Both are linked by a kind of “knot” that, when the dog pulls, makes the collar narrow and, as the name suggests, chokes or hangs the animal. They are discouraged for being cruel and dangerous.
What model of training strap is the most recommended?
As we have anticipated, the multi-position leash is the best option for dog training. The carabiner is easily hooked to the corresponding ring to obtain the desired length. Its maximum length is usually 2 to 2.6 meters. It is a comfortable, safe, versatile and dynamic model. They can be made of nylon or leather.
Multi-position straps that are 2.8-3 meters long can be used cross-body, as shoulder straps, during walks. Many of them are also useful for walking 2 dogs at the same time. Most manufacturers include a manual so that the non-professional trainer can get the most out of this model.
What types of dog training leashes should I avoid?
By no means should choke or hanging leashes, commonly recommended for dogs that pull hard, be used. 2 things can happen: that the dog stops pulling due to drowning, or that the dog, even being hanged, does not stop pulling. Some dogs have suffered serious neck injuries from these types of elements.
It is also not advisable to use the extendable leashes, or Flexi®, since they promote the habit of pulling or even dogs that do not have this habit can start to do it. The flexi leash can be used for walks or on trained dogs that are in more advanced stages of training.
Do electric collars replace training leashes?
No. This item has recently been banned in the Netherlands as being cruel and unnecessary. These are collars used for “wireless” training, since they do not require a leash. When the dog disobeys or does something inappropriate, the owner presses a button and emits an electric shock, vibration or beep.
The cost in terms of loss of animal welfare is too high to justify the use of electric collars, since there are equally effective and harmless alternatives for the animal and its owner. For this reason, it is not recommended to use this type of leash for training your pet.
Can the same leash be used for training and walking the dog?
Yes. One of the biggest advantages of multi-position leashes is that after training is complete, they can still be used for walks. Even many times the training, which at the beginning only lasts a couple of minutes, is carried out during the time dedicated to the walk and it is very convenient not to have to change the leash.
How should the owner behave during the training?
The dog training leash is a valuable educational tool, but it is no wonder. If the owner wants to train his dog instead of going to a professional handler, he must be patient, affectionate and disciplined with the training. Dogs learn fast, but this process takes some time.
The world of dog training leashes is huge. It is important that you know the different materials, models and lengths so that you acquire the right product for your dog and for you. These are the basic purchase criteria that you should assess before buying a leash to train your dog:
- Security elements
- Dog size
Nylon and leather straps are the most recommended because they are light and strong. However, leather can be ruined by washing or humidity, and if the dog has a habit of chewing on the leash, this material will be very tempting. Metal straps are very heavy, difficult to handle, and tend to rust.
For the initial phase of training, the ideal is to buy a multi-position strap (leather or nylon) or, failing that, a conventional 2 meter strap. In more advanced phases, training can be complemented with a long leash (more than 10 meters) or an extendable / Flexi® leash (never if the dog has a habit of pulling hard).
It is important to mention that the extendable leashes offer practically no control over the animal and it is very risky to use them. They can be used with very obedient dogs or in training in closed spaces. You should never choose straps that are too short (less than 50 centimeters) or choke / choke.
The handle or handle must be comfortable and non-slip to avoid friction burns on the owner. Reflective yarns are essential for night walks or workouts. The carabiner hooks must be strong and ensure a secure closure. A failure of the hook can lead to the escape of the dog.
When the dog is large or tends to pull hard on the leash, a strong and reinforced product should be purchased to avoid breakages or accidents during training. For small breeds, it is important to purchase lightweight leashes. For dogs that tend to bite, leather leashes should be avoided.
Some owners think that with a short leash, less than 50 centimeters, they will be able to break their dog’s habit of pulling. The truth is that the opposite happens: the shorter the leash, the more the dog pulls. It is essential to take into account the breed and / or personality of the dog when choosing a leash.
As you may have noticed, the leash is much more than an element to prevent your dog from escaping during walks or jumping at other people. It is a tool that, if you use it correctly, will allow you to educate your dog and communicate with him or her. Choosing a suitable strap is part of preparing for training.
Nylon or leather multi-position leashes are our favorite choice for training a dog, and once this process is complete, they will serve as a walking leash. Of course, even if you buy the best product on the market, without your time, patience, love and discipline, the training will not be successful.
If you liked our guide, share it with your friends and acquaintances so that they can know a little more about dog training leashes.