Chicken breeds fall into three basic categories – egg producers, meat birds and dual-purpose types. Broilers chickens, in the second category, were designed to mature quickly, ready to market as early as 6 weeks of age. The commercial market depends on a few breeds of broilers chicken or types. These birds do not make good pets if you are not in the market for meat. They are not bred for longevity, and size creates problems in older birds.
The most common type of broilers chicken are not a real breed but is a cross between white rock and Cornish chickens. Cornish man / white cross rock weigh about 4.5 pounds at the age of 6 weeks. If kept around five more weeks, they weigh about 9.5 pounds. The females of this cross, known as Cornish game hens, grow more slowly, weighing about 2.5 pounds at the age of 5 weeks. Like other white feathered meat birds, their carcasses are not discolored areas on the skin due to feather growth.
Broilers Chicken Red
Red broilers chicken, or Red Label, does not ripen as fast as the Cornish goes through. It takes them twice as long – 12 weeks – to reach the size of the market. Males reach maturity at about 7 pounds and females at 5 pounds. If you want to raise broilers chicken outdoors rather than in an indoor facility, red broilers chicken make a good choice. As their name suggests, these birds have softened various shades of red, and some have dark tails. Hens produce large brown eggs, but do not go brooders. This means that you have to incubate the fertilized eggs if you want to raise another generation of red broilers chicken.
Delaware Broilers Chicken
Developed in the 1940s, the Delaware chickens were given to cross Rhode Island Red hens with Barred Plymouth Rock roosters. At one point, Delawares have been widely used in the broiler industry, but the conservation of livestock – which monitors rare breeds – lists now threatened. Black white sports organizations The Delawares except on the neck and tail. Early mature males, tip the scales to 8 pounds; hens are smaller at 6 pounds. Unlike other broiler breeds, Delawares are also useful for small-scale egg production.
Other breeds or types of broilers chicken are usually Cornish crosses. You can find these chicks for sale in large scale hatcheries across the country. A relatively new breed is Rosambro, a chicken that looks like a red broiler with faster growth. Expect a mature Rosambro between the ages of 8 to 10 weeks. Other common meat breeds do not grow as quickly as broilers chicken.
- Physical Properties of The Rottweiler Dog
- Puppies Save Long Island — Why Should We Buy Puppies From Our Breed?
- What Breed of Dog or Puppy is Right For You?
- How to Choose Your German Shepherd Puppy
- 5 Tips to Choose The Breed of Your First Dog
- These Are The Best Dogs Breed If You Have Children
- 11 Dog Breeds With Curly Tails And Why We Love Them
- Facts About The Dynamic Russell Terrier Dog Breed
- 9 Irish Dog Breeds to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day
- Meet The World’s Only Irish Dog Breeds in Honor of St. Patrick’s Day
- Lesser-Known All-American Dog Breeds That Are Actually Interesting
- 5 Wrinkly Dog Breeds
- What to Consider When Choosing Food For Your Small Breed Dog
- 7 Breeds With Floppy Ears And Why We Love Them
- All About The Breeds Behind The Westminster Group Winners
- Dogs That Don’t Bark: 5 Quiet Dog Breeds
- The Best Dogs For Cats? Try These 5 Cat-Friendly Dog Breeds
- 7 Most Expensive Cat Breeds in The World
- Brindle Dogs: Meet 5 Breeds With Brindle-Colored Coats
- What Are The Most Affectionate Dog Breeds? Let’s Meet 5 Cuddly Dogs