At Dogster magazine, we love when a restaurant goes to the dogs! So it’s no surprise that when we’re in Texas, our restaurant group of choice is Cane Rosso. The restaurants specialize in authentic wood-fired Neapolitan pizza along with other traditional Italian dishes. What makes Cane Rosso and owner/creator Jay Jerrier (who has seven dogs of his own!) even more special is the Cane Rosso Rescue founded in 2014.
“Cane Rosso, the name of our restaurant group, means ‘red dog’ in Italian and is named after our first dog, Zoli — also the name of one of our new restaurants,” Jay tells us. “The plight of abandoned, abused, neglected and unwanted dogs is something that has always touched me. Lily Tomlin once said, ‘I said “someone should do something about that” … then I realized that I was “someone.”‘ I’m fortunate enough to be in the position to do something about it … so I am.”
The volunteer-based 501 (c)3 nonprofit focuses on foster care, veterinary treatment and providing transportation and other essential needs for dogs who need homes. It has its own network of fosters and dogs, plus it supports other Texan rescues by holding Pups on the Patio pizza, fundraising and pet adoption events at the Cane Rosso restaurants where patrons’ donations are matched by Cane Rosso and then given to a local rescue. You can also support the rescue(s) by “rounding up for rescue” when you pay your bill. “With the number of guests that visit us across 10 restaurants, it really adds up,” Jay says. For more info, go to canerosso.com or canerossorescue.com.
Editor’s note: This article appeared in Dogster magazine. Have you seen the new Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? Subscribe now to get Dogster magazine delivered straight to you!
Read more dog news on Dogster.com:
- How the Dog Rescue Shirt Club Helps Pups in Need
- How Much Would Dog Parents Spend to Save Their Pup’s Life?
- Dug Up at Dogster: February 2018 Dog Events
- 3 Surprising Ways Dogs Make Us More Optimistic
- Supplements And Superfoods For Dogs — What You Need to Know
- Must-Have Book: ‘Insta Grammar Dogs’
- The Mission Behind Support Dogs, Inc.
- How Much Do You Know About Your Dog’s Tongue?
- Here’s Why The Top-Rated Dog Car Crates Could Save Your Dog’s Life
- Dogs Who Don’t Shed: Separating Fact From Fiction
- Pennsylvania’s Libre Law Puts Limits on Chaining Dogs Outside
- 7 Common Health Issues in Older Dogs
- Everything to Know About Allergic Reactions in Dogs
- Best Dogs For City Apartments: Why The Size of Your Pet Doesn’t Matter
- Can Dogs Eat Grapes? What to Know About Grapes And Dogs
- What Are Dogs Scared Of? How to Help Dogs Overcome Their Fears
- New Drone Footage of Dogs Herding Sheep Is Mesmerizing [Video]
- 11 Common Household Items That Are Toxic to Dogs
- Holiday Plans That Are Utterly Unsuitable For Dogs
- 21 Human Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs
- Isle of Dogs Premiere — Have You Entered to Win? #IsleofDogs
- 5 Calming Products For Dogs
- Dancers And Dogs Photo Project Is The Perfect Eye Candy For Your Day