The parakeets are playful and social birds, which love to interact with their peers and humans. But, sometimes, they can be off, without the joy that characterizes them. Does your bird not sing or have fun like before? The solution may be in your hands. In this post we explain how to remedy it.
Stress, loneliness and changes
As we pointed out in our post “Is your bird bored?” , a bird that lacks attention or recreational elements may lose interest in the world around him.
Parakeets will look for a way out of their sadness by pecking the first thing they have within their reach , even if it is counterproductive for their health.
Stress can take over birds for various reasons, as Marta Bravo, an expert biologist in exotic animals, points out:
- Sudden changes in your environment
- Different cage location
- Feeling alone, without the company of another parakeet
To divert the attention of our decayed parakeet, it is suggested to offer non-toxic chewable products and objects , which it can peck without problem:
- Other natural materials
But there are more fun proposals, which will delight your parakeet and rescue him from the torpor in which he sits.
We tell you about them here:
6 tips to make a parakeet happy
You can tell that a parakeet is happy because it sings, jumps, communicates with its caretakers, is attentive to human gestures and participates with our proposals.
For all this he will need part of your time. If it is gold, do not worry, it will be returned in spades in the form of songs of happiness.
Here are six guidelines to help you achieve their enthusiasm:
- Games of variety and attractive colors.
Isn’t it true that if we always play with the same things, we get bored? Well, your parakeet will not be less. For this reason, you will need to have a good assortment of proposals on hand to enjoy doing what you like the most:
- Going up and down: They love it, don’t forget the stairs .
- Swinging: In a good sense of the word. For your moments of relaxation.
- Swing: Nothing better than a swing to de-stress.
- Spin a wheel: A classic that you cannot miss.
- Hitting: Indispensable for your curious explorer.
Put some balls of paper and roll them to stimulate your parakeet to do the same, it is an economical and effective entertainment.
- Touching a sound object: Surprise will keep you intrigued.
- Perching on a ram a: From it you will scan your surroundings.
- Hide: Ideal to stimulate your tracking instincts.
- Interact with people: To have fun together and strengthen ties of friendship.
From time to time, we may exchange some toys for different ones, in order to keep your attention on the novelty.
Keep in mind that these birds are extremely curious and are fascinated by discoveries.
- Activities outside the cage
Since not everything is going to be playing inside the cage, your parakeet will love having fun outside.
Provide him with a play area in a safe area , where he can be distracted at ease, with your collaboration and endless activities you can imagine. Close doors and windows, cover mirrors, protect plugs, and remove any other element that could ingest or injure you.
- Parakeet in shape, in the gym
Birds need to do a daily activity to stay in shape, both physically and mentally, so having a small area to do their sport will be great for them.
Here’s what happy parakeets often do in the gym : climb, hang, and swing.
- Your finger, a safe place for your parakeet
One way to strengthen the relationship with your parakeet is to teach him to perch on your finger. To achieve this, you will first have to get it used to the presence of your hand inside the cage. Then you can introduce a perch (it is a piece of stick for birds) :
- Gently insert the perch into the cage until it makes contact with the parakeet’s abdomen.
- Invite him to go up, saying “go up”. Insist several times.
- When he’s on the hanger, place your finger on it to encourage him to come to rest on your finger.
- Once on the finger, the hanger will no longer be needed.
- On your finger it will feel in a warm and privileged place to scan its entire habitat.
“That parakeets enjoy toys does not mean that we should cram the cage with them, they are birds that also need a space where they can move freely and feel comfortable”
- Teach your male parakeet to speak and sing
With patience and tenacity, a parakeet will find in words and song another means of communicating its well-being.
- Choose short words and phrases and say them to the parakeet frequently and with the same intonation.
- Watch his progress and reward him for it .
- Sing him a song, just like you would a baby, until he gets used to the melody and tries to play it (in his own way, of course).
- When you have mastered a melody, try a simple one, and so on.
- One, two and three, he who has not hidden, has had time!
This fun kids game can cheer up the most boring parakeet. It is about leaving the parakeet in a safe area of the house, with enough space for the human to hide.
Encourage him, call him by name and go saying “Find me” or “Where am I?” The moment the bird manages to see you, offer it a treat and a caress.
“To be happy and healthy, parakeets need to live in a good environment. The company and affection of other companions of their species and of the humans with whom they live is also essential ”.
If, despite following these tips, your parakeet is still tired, take him to the specialized veterinarian, to examine him for other possible causes and remedies.