Dogs can have very different shapes, sizes and personalities. So you can be pretty sure there is a right dog for you.
If you’re wondering at what point you should start looking, our interactive dog finder tool will show you the breeds that fit your way of life. On this page, you will find more information about the different groups of dogs.
Group of shepherd dogs: dogs with a great activity
Raised for the grazing of sheep, cattle and even reindeer, in this group of shepherd dogs are the Border Collie, the Old English Shepherd Dog and the Samoyed. They are very loyal and happier when they do useful things. With their great resistance to the elements, they will not want to spend the day lying at your feet. But if you are one of those who like the outdoors and are willing to go for many long walks and much training, you will be fine.
Group of utilitarian dogs: dogs that love doing jobs
This mixed group consists of dogs originally bred to perform very specific tasks. For example, the Lhasa Apso was raised to guard the Tibetan monasteries, while the Dalmatian originally accompanied the horse-drawn carriages. You will find great personalities in this group, such as the Bulldog, the Schnauzer and the Shih Tzu.
Group of very small breeds: small dogs with a great personality
If you want a lot of personality in a small package, a dog from the group of very small breeds is for you. From the Yorkshire Terrier to the Pomeranian, and from the Maltese to the Peking, these little characters are quick to claim and defend their rights. If you are looking for a cheerful companion who will live happily in a smaller space and who does not require two walks a day, they are perfect for you.
Group of trail dogs: dogs that love to look for things
From the Dachshund to the Deerhound, and from the Basset to the Beagle, there are trail dogs of all shapes and sizes. All of them also have great skills to hunt using sight or smell. And with enough exercise and many games, there is a hound around who would love to take a place in your trunk.
Group of working dogs: dogs that seek, rescue and save
Think of the Boxer, the Mastiff, the Husky and the Saint Bernard. These dogs are never as happy as when they do something useful, so you will see them often as police dogs or search and rescue dogs. Adiestralo well and your family will have a friend and a protector for life.
Terrier group: dogs with character who love to dig holes
“Terra” means land, and these small, jovial dogs love to dig holes. They have a very strong prey drive and like to say the last word. So if you have some space at home where they can dig (and you do not have a hamster as a pet), a Jack Russell, a Fox Terrier or a Staffordshire Bull Terrier can be breeds that are right for you.
Group of hunting dogs: dogs that like to collect the pieces
Setter, Pointer, Labrador, Retriever and Spaniel are all breeds originally bred to help their owners when they went hunting. They are loyal, they like to learn and (almost always) are eager to please, so they are excellent family dogs. Guide Dogs and other assistance dogs are usually in this group as well. If you try to make your hunting dog get enough exercise, you will have a friend with a good nature for life.
- Puppy Stores Long Island – Why Buy a Puppy From Our Breeding?
- How to Choose Your German Shepherd Puppy
- These Are The Best Dogs Breed If You Have Children
- Hemp Oil For Dogs: Is it Safe?
- Service Dogs & Housing – Know Your Rights
- Choosing The Right Harness or Collar For Your Dog
- Different Breeds of Broilers Chicken
- 5 Tips to Choose The Breed of Your First Dog
- Top 5 Tips to Take Care of Your Pet
- Hydrotherapy in Dogs
- Temperament of French Bulldogs: The Good And The Bad Sides
- Temperament of Pitbull Dogs
- Pros And Cons of Electric Dog Fences
- Tips For Your Pitbull to Spend Energy
- 10 Tips to Mark Superiority Over Your Pitbull
- What Care Does Your Dog Pitbull Need? Have a Happy, Healthy And Balanced Dog
- Decorate Your Dog House With These 5 Tips
- Top 3 Health Problems For Dachshunds
- The Flu in Dogs
- Buy a Dog Online: Recommendations to Avoid Problems