Walking is a must that any dog has every day. Do not forget that these animals used to live in the wild and were guided by their instincts. Therefore, today they cannot lead a sedentary life. They should not lie at home all day. They have to go out to relieve themselves and get some exercise. But, for these outings to be beneficial for both them and for you, it is worth taking into account the following tips for walking your dog.
How to teach your dog to walk?
The best way to walk your pet is to have reassured it before leaving home, so that it does not go with anxiety or all the time waiting to play and thus can attend to the multiple stimuli that it will encounter.
If your pet does not stop pulling or lunges, we recommend stopping the march until it relaxes, to be able to resume the walk. In this way, you will educate him to know how to control himself.
We recommend walking in a relaxed way, since your energy is transmitted to your pet. Of course, always alert for possible unforeseen events.
You can alternate the walk with moments of play as a reward for his good behavior, so you will educate him in the positive. Together, you will have fun while learning from each other.
Wrong actions when you walk your dog
You should try to avoid the following mistakes when walking your dog:
- First of all, don’t go down the street with a bad attitude. Your pet will notice it and the walk will be a disaster, since both of you will see your goals frustrated. Anxiety is a bad counselor.
- Also, you should not act harshly. For example, you don’t have to jerk or make sudden or inexplicable direction changes. Your dog will be puzzled.
- Lastly, do not use punishment leashes or harnesses that are too tight, as they will make your dog uncomfortable and will go against the goal of the walk.
Learn to walk with your dog
The bugs that we have mentioned previously can be reversed through good practices. In order for you to train your dog for daily walks, it is important that you dedicate time and patience. Here are some recommendations so that you can learn together:
- Dogs are animals that value their routines very positively. In this sense, they will appreciate a schedule of their outings to the street that is fulfilled. We recommend three outings, which, between them, add between one and two hours of walk, for the well-being of your pet. First thing in the morning, at noon and at night. If you follow this agenda, your dog will be more predisposed to take a lively walk.
- Take it along paths that you already know and little by little you will be able to explore new paths. On the other hand, learn to walk your dog by giving short commands that are not contradictory to each other.
- Don’t hold it back if, for example, it wants to smell some urine. That behavior is still part of your instinct. So let him socialize and explore new things, as long as they are safe.
- Do not over-tighten the collar or harness (with a few fingers to spare) and guide it gently.
- Remember that, on walks, your pet is also exposed to parasites. So to prevent them and to be protected inside and out, ask your veterinarian about the Double Monthly Protection. Plus, you’ll get a gift just for asking.