If you have come this far, it is because you are in search of the best bones for dogs. Your “furry” seems to know it too, and he approves, drooling, as he looks at you with excited joy. And it is that popular culture, although sometimes it is wrong, is right on this occasion: what is a dog without a bone? As Nicanor Parra, the famous Chilean poet, would say: “Nothing!”
But before you can enjoy a brand new bone, either by replacement or first revelation, it is a good idea to get to know the best bones on the market, as well as everything that surrounds them. Therefore, in this shopping guide we are going to delve into this curious element so precious by dogs. In this way, you will be able to offer him only what he really needs.
The most important
- If you are looking for cheap dog bones, but that help maintain good oral health, Pedigree Dentastix brand bones are a great option. Capable of removing up to 80% of accumulated tartar when used daily, they feature a scientifically proven formula.
- There are recreational bones for dogs. These are characterized by having holes at their ends through which you can hide snacks or croquettes. With the promise of food obtained on its own merits, your dog will entertain himself looking for a way to get it out until “aha! Why am I not so stupid, human? “
- Dog bones can be very useful in dogs that suffer pain during the teething process. In addition, they can help to redirect inappropriate behaviors. For example, if you have a dog that bites your shoes apart, a product of this type is very likely to allow him to expend all that energy and instinct in a way that both breathes easy.
The best dog bones on the market: our favorites
The number of dog bones on the market is staggering. You can choose from raw edible or recreational dog bones, as well as others made from rubber or other synthetic materials. Among so many options, doubts arise. And because you trust us, we return so much faith by way of ranking: The five best bones for dogs of 2021.
- Online users’ favorite dog bones
- The best value for money dog bones
- The funniest dog bones
- Best Raw Skin Chew Bones for Dog
- Best Bacon and Chicken Dog Bones
Online users’ favorite dog bones
Very popular with Amazon customers, the Pedigree Dentastix boasts a 4.5 star rating out of 5, as well as having a scientifically proven formula for your dog. It is offered in packages of fifty-six, seventy-one hundred and twelve sticks . In this case, we have opted for its version for small dogs, since these are more common.
Also available for medium and large dogs, the Pedigree Dentastix product makes this list of the best bones for dogs on the market for several reasons. The first of these is its ability to reduce tartar on the canine’s teeth (up to 80%). Other? Its composition is low in fat, with no added sugars or artificial flavors or colors.
The best value for money dog bones
Although also available, from the same link, in different sizes and number of units, we opted for the option of twelve 16 cm pieces due to its economic price and because it is an excellent investment for large dogs. In case your dog is going through the teething process, this is possibly the best dog bone available.
But the benefits of Yommy dog bones are not just limited to the teething process. At any age, these cowhide-based snacks help keep your dog’s mouth healthy and his teeth strong. Its composition is 100% natural and is manufactured under strict veterinary control. Also, apart from sanitizing your mouth, they will entertain you!
The funniest dog bones
To interact, Kong’s alternative closes the podium of best bones for dogs today. It belongs to the company’s range of interactive toys, as this bone – made from high-quality KONG Extreme black rubber – doubles as a food dispenser. It is available in sizes M and L for prices that range between € 10 and € 20.
On the other hand, the KONG dog bone stands out for its resistance. With it, your furry friend will enjoy unforgettable moments while racking his brains to extract the goodies placed inside the ends. In this way, you not only manage to relieve possible stress, but you also stimulate their cognitive abilities for a more awake and happy dog.
Best Raw Skin Chew Bones for Dog
The objective of this product, as Good Boy points out very well in its labeling, is to see how your dogs wag their tails with happiness. Intended for dogs over four months old and a medium size, these are bones of 100% natural composition (rawhide) that seek not only to entertain, but also to reward the good behavior of the “furry” and thus strengthen their teeth.
They are offered in a package of twenty units, so that, if you do the calculation, each piece costs more or less one euro. Something laughable, right? To prevent spoilage, the brand recommends storing the bag in a cool, dry place. In addition, when you use them, it is convenient to supervise your dog, as well as make sure that he has full access to fresh water.
Best Bacon and Chicken Dog Bones
We close this list of the best bones for dogs on the market with the proposal of the Nylabone brand, an American company with more than fifty years of history and a family management with great attention to detail. Available in three sizes – small, medium and large – it offers two dog bones made of nylon (so they are not for eating).
Although they are not edible, they have a coating flavored with chicken or bacon. They are one of the best bones for dogs if you are looking for a cheap toy that helps fight tartar, entertains him and manages to redirect inappropriate chews of other objects. It is recommended, to extend their useful life and avoid possible infections, wash them after each use.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Dog Bones
Haven’t you bought my bone yet? What ‘the hell’ are you waiting for, human? », Your« furry »exclaims impatiently with his tongue out and his eyes bright with enthusiasm. We don’t want your dog to despair, but before you get down to work and fill it with happiness, don’t you think it’s a good idea to learn more about dog bones?
What exactly are dog bones and why is it good to invest in them?
Yes, it may seem like an unnecessary question, but the market has become so sophisticated that a bone for dogs is no longer just a hard piece from some vertebrate that is used to feed your “furry”. Now they are also marketed made from synthetic materials or with veterinary formulas to help maintain a healthy mouth.
Dog bones, are they dangerous for the dog?
Before delving into the different types of dog bones that exist, we must make this point clear. You may have been alarmed by reading the drawbacks in the table above. But don’t worry, dog bones are not dangerous for your “furry”! Obviously, since they are not all the same, your responsibility as an owner is to choose the right one.
Otherwise, problems will appear. For example, the brands that offer the best bones for dogs on the market do not stick to a single option, but offer you different sizes. A 10-inch long bone will not be a good idea if your adventure partner is a pug breed. Also, a rubber bone is not used the same as a rawhide one.
Are all dog bones the same?
For a dog, surely not. Your “furry” will launch on it regardless of size, material or ingredients. But you are not a dog, are you? You may drool in your sleep sometimes, but you definitely are not! Therefore, you should know the different types of cheap dog bones or not, that way you will always offer the right one!
- Raw bones: For many experts, raw bones are the pinnacle of dog bones. In fact, they are nothing more than a true reflection of their original idiosyncrasy. Very rich in nutrients, but with the disadvantage that they are less safe (they are the ideal breeding ground for the appearance of bacteria) and proactive than those of the options on our list.
- Natural Cow Dog Bones: A somewhat safer alternative to raw bones. The brands that sell them pre-sterilize them (which you might as well do at home by boiling bones) and then usually roast them. However, its presence of nutrients suffers a drastic drop compared to crude. In addition, they are prone to splintering, which can damage your “furry”.
- Rawhide Dog Bones: One of the best bones for dogs is the one offered by Goodboy (ranked number five), a perfect example of this category. From a technical point of view, they are not really bones, as they are rather made from the inner layer of the skin or leather of various animals (usually cows). Ideal to strengthen their teeth, they usually have flavor enhancers of natural origin to make them more attractive to the dog.
- Veterinary cut bones: Also called “dental bones for dogs.” These are products specially designed for the care of the dog’s mouth and teeth. Thanks to its chewing, your dog will be able to remove food particles that have remained between his teeth or on his gums. Some of these options not only help improve your oral health, but they also freshen your breath.
- Chewable bones as a food supplement: They are snacks shaped like bones or objects that the dog can chew. Your advantage? Which are enriched with a wide variety of nutrients. For this reason, they not only serve as a reward for the good behavior of the dog, but also as a way to improve its diet. Ideal for any scenario, but especially for when your dog does not eat as well as it should.
- Synthetic Chewy Bones: Some of the best cheap dog bones are recreational cut. These are made from synthetic materials like rubber. Obviously, they are not eaten. They are a good option for your pet to chew on during teething. On the other hand, they are the perfect toy to kill boredom.
What are synthetic interactive bones for dogs for?
Some of the best cheap dog bones are synthetic ones. Within this category, options are offered that are also interactive. A good example of this possibility is Kong dog bones. But what makes an interactive dog bone special? That enhance the cognitive development of your adventure partner.
Kong’s option, for example, features two ends with two holes each. Thanks to this, you can put snacks or croquettes of all kinds on the bone. The smell, gluttony and curiosity of your “furry” will do the rest. You will want to know what hides the bone that feels so delicious. For this reason, he will entertain himself for a long time while little by little he takes out the “prizes.”
Exactly what nutrients do bones provide for dogs?
Obviously, the answer to this question also depends on the type of dog bone you buy. If it is made of plastic, unless it has a specific type of coating, it will not provide your dog with more than simple fun and entertainment. However, the rest of the dog bones on the market, especially the enriched ones, offer an important nutritional value:
- Various proteins.
- Collagen (carrier of two essential amino acids such as proline and glycine, as well as mucopolysaccharides).
- Calcium phosphate.
- Vitamins and other essential compounds (in the case of enriched ones).
Relax, tell your dog to stop barking, we are about to finish, and patience usually has its prize. Now that you know more about the different types of bones for dogs and their usefulness, it’s time to buy. But of course, an investment is preferable not based on trial and error. So that this does not happen to you, we leave you the purchase criteria that you must follow:
- Natural or synthetic
- Edible or recreational
- Health condition
Natural or synthetic
If you’re looking for one of the best cheap dog bones for your dog to just entertain himself, the answer is clear – the best option is a synthetic dog bone like Nylabone’s. If, on the other hand, you are looking for something more both at a nutritional or hygiene level, options such as Pedigree Dentastix or Good Boy bones will be a better investment.
As you may have already seen if you have taken a look at our list of best dog bones, they are not all equal in size. Even the same product offers the possibility of ordering it in different dimensions. Therefore, take into account the size of your dog before making the purchase. A boxer does not require the same as a Yorkshire terrier.
Hygiene or play
The best cheap dog bones, as you may already know, are available in various formats. Broadly speaking, and to avoid complications, we can divide them between hygienic / food and recreational. Although both options are not exclusive (it is convenient to read the description of each product), depending on which bone for dogs you buy.
If you’re looking to stimulate your canine companion’s cognitive development, there are cheap interactive cut dog bones. As we have already explained previously, this type of alternatives will allow you to introduce sweets or common feed at the ends of the bone. The dog will have to face the challenge of extracting the food, something that will force him to “reason.”
Before giving any new product to your dog, it is essential to visit your veterinarian. Their advice is vital in giving you the most suitable option. Also take into account the health status of your dog. For example, if he has had oral problems or is an elderly dog with fragile teeth, it is not advisable to give him very hard or very bulky bones.
As you have seen, there are cheap but effective dog bones for a wide range of purposes. The bone is still part of the idiosyncrasy of the dog. If today’s market offers you safe options and far from the threat of bacteria that “real” bones do present, why deprive your canine friend of these delicious and beneficial products?
In spite of everything, keep in mind that buying one of the best cheap dog bones is not a bed of roses. There are several criteria that you must take into account so that the investment comes to fruition. For example, dog bones come in different sizes to accommodate various existing breeds; furthermore, not all of those sold are edible.