Have you ever heard about using CBD-based products to help your dog recover from various ailments? In case your dog suffers from anxiety, discomfort, or pain, giving it CBD dog treats might be an excellent option. Cannabidiol has been gaining relevance around the world for its non-psychoactive and therapeutic properties. While it has gained large-scale popularity amongst humans, certain dog-lovers have extended its use to canines to emphatic effect. These treats derived from hemp might be a helpful alternative when it comes to treating humankind’s best friend. Here’s a look at everything you need to know about why you should give your dog CBD.
Can CBD Help Canines?
CBD, better known as cannabidiol, offers several medicinal properties while remaining non-psychoactive. This medical compound can help with relieving and alleviating several physical and psychological ailments. Products that contain less than 0.3% THC, including oils, gummies, and dog treats, are also legal in the US.
Unlike compounds containing tetrahydrocannabinol, CBD will not produce any hallucinations when consumed. While research regarding the use of CBD is in its nascent stages, anecdotal evidence proves to be encouraging. Several studies show that CBD can help relieve several symptoms related to arthritis, cancer, and anxiety. In recent years, the market has seen an influx of CBD-based pet products to extend these benefits to our pets. Let us now take a closer look at the different ways in which such products can help our canine friends.
Benefits of Treating Your Dog with CBD
- Help with Anxiety: Most dogs experience stress, anxiety, and nervousness from time to time. CBD can help relieve symptoms related to stress and anxiety by influencing the endocannabinoid system. It leads to the body producing serotonin, which helps stabilize mood and prevent anxiety.
- Ease joint pain and arthritis: Studies show that almost 20% of American dogs have to deal with arthritis at some point in their lives. They develop chronic joint inflammation, and over the long term, it leads to deterioration, immobility, and pain. Hemp-derived dog treats can help alleviate the stiffness and discomfort that arise from inflammation and arthritis efficiently.
- Improved skin health: Dogs that scratch or roll on the ground excessively usually suffers from dry skin, allergies, or rashes. CBD can help improve your dog’s overall skin health by a large extent, helping prevent skin microdermabrasion. Additionally, these products also have anti-inflammatory properties that help prevent itchy and irritated skin.
- Fight epilepsy: One of the most common reasons for seizures in dogs is epilepsy, which leads to recurring issues. However, traditional medication for the same comes along with a host of adverse side effects. CBD acts as a natural and healthy alternative by reducing the frequency of painful seizures.
- Sleep better: If your dog suffers from sleeping issues, a small dose of CBD can help them relax and doze off with ease. Not only will this do wonders to their restlessness, but it will also help them feel rested and more relaxed. Over the long run, these products will regulate your dog’s internal system, leading to better sleep patterns.
Effective against the fear of noises: Dogs tend to get nervous and jittery when exposed to loud noises and fireworks. CBD can help ease their nerves by interacting with neuro-receptors that trigger panic. As a result, such products can help treat their noise-induced and separation-induced anxiety effectively.
Better appetite and no nausea: CBD can work as an effective tool to treat nausea in dogs, helping prevent vomiting and upset stomachs. Additionally, such products come packed with vitamins and nutrients making them great for the stomach. Hence, these products are an excellent option to soothe an upset or sensitive stomach quickly.
Deal with cancer-related pain: While CBD might not act as a treatment for cancer, it sure can alleviate symptoms related to the disease. As a result, CBD can serve as an excellent secondary treatment option to deal with the pain and discomfort caused by cancer or chemotherapy.
Improves heart health: Another significant advantage that comes with treating your dog with CBD is improved canine heart health. Since these products help dogs deal with their anxiety and nervousness, it alleviates age-related heart problems. Additionally, they also help to keep their blood pressure under check by regulating their endocannabinoid system efficiently.
Prevent allergy flare-ups: Dogs, much like humans, can develop allergic reactions to various elements in their environment. CBD-based products can help ease the irritation and pain caused by such allergens, helping make canines feel better. They also boost the dog’s immune system making it easier for them to defend their bodies against the world.
How to Treat Dogs with CBD
CBD products for dogs come in many sizes and forms, with treats, creams, and oil is the most popular. In most instances, providing oral remedies proves to be the most effective method of ingestion. Additionally, studies showed that the optimum dosage level was two milligrams for one kilogram of body weight. However, since every dog reacts and responds to CBD differently, it is best to follow a micro-dosing strategy. Start with a small dose, monitor the results, and make changes as and when required. Also, most products offer dosage recommendations from the manufacturer, which can also serve as references. When choosing CBD products for pets, make sure you check for certificates of analysis. These serve as third-party testing evidence and help prove the product is safe and non-toxic.
When it comes to monitoring changes, here’s a quick guide to see whether the product is helping or not.
- If the product helps your dog relax during a firework show it used to be terrified of, that’s a positive effect.
- If the product helps your dog jump and run the way it used to before the onset of arthritis-induced mobility problems, that’s a positive change.
- Adverse side effects include lethargy, loss of balance, excessive panting, and dribbling urine. In case your dog experiences any of these, you might have to reduce the dosage and try again. Additionally, make sure you visit a veterinarian to discuss the effects of a product.
A VIN Service survey found that 63% of American veterinarians admitted pet owners ask them about CBD every month. While treating your dog with CBD is legal, it is advisable to consult your veterinarian before you do so to be on the safe side. However, many studies have shown that such products can help dogs in several ways, as discussed above. CBD dog treats might be the best way to help your pet deal with anxiety, IBD, and chronic pain. These products can help improve their mobility and reduce their pain, leading to a better quality of life. In case you want more information regarding the benefits of using CBD, follow this space for updates!